2009/06/18

Taking the rust off, and trying to avoid lead poisoning.







I've been blacksmithing for over a year now, so I'm quite used to running an angle grinder with a wire wheel on it.

The amount of work required to remove the rust and paint from the tractor was in another level.

It took me 3 hours to clean this one side of the wheel off. Lead paint acts like a paste once you heat it up, the wire wheel barely scratches it.


At least the cast iron wheels take primer well.


In order to save my sanity, I buy some paint stripper. 1 litre of this stuff covered the remaining paint on the wheel, the other wheel, and most of the transmission casing. I let it sit for over 3 weeks.


I had a business trip that took 3 weekends away from me, so I had to let the stripper sit on it. However, before I left, I cleaned the chassis frame, which was much easier.


I also did the front axle.





April is now over.

No comments:

Post a Comment