2010/03/16

Leaded fuel only.

So in building this new tray, I had hoped to get four on the bottom, and four on the top. Unfortunately, as I had built the motor mount slightly bigger than it needed to be, there isn't enough room to get all four in the bottom. No matter, three and five will work out fine, if slightly top heavy.



Support for the top rack.



Drilling holes to secure it to the frame.



Sizing it up.



Gussets like crazy. Just made these out of scrap I had laying around. If I need more in the future, I'll add more. No big deal.



Since this is going to be somewhat tight and cramped, I have to remove the top batteries to get at the lower ones. May as well make it easy for myself to get the bottom ones in and out, so I drilled holes to make this side of the rack removable. Somewhat easy access is important, as these are trojan batteries that have to have their cells checked every so often (acid levels, specific gravity).



Test fitting.



Built a mini-tray for the single 12v that I have room for. I had hoped to get more in there for a paralleled bank, but there's not enough room.



All painted up.





New weatherstripping for the batteries to cushion themselves on.



Bolted down and wired up.



Gave it a quick test, everything seemed normal, so I put the hood back on.



Took it for a short test run on the driveway (first time it's moved in a month and a half), was very satisfied, so I tucked the little batteries in for their very first charge cycle.


All in all, a productive two weeks.

Coming up next, I finish that damn plow blade mount.

4 comments:

  1. Hi fantastic project. really interesting. Was wondering if perhaps the electric motor could do with cooling 'fins' fitted around it's body. like the method often used to help keep a computer processor cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Possibly, yes. With the new motor and the forced air fan, it keeps the motor quite cool though.

    Worst part is, I would have a really hard time fitting fins to the body of the motor, or if I did, they would be very unevenly spaced, which isn't good. Uneven heat dissipation = stress cracks.

    Thanks for your interest!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Find here best manufacturer of e rickshaw in delhi, then do visit to udaan e rickshaw. We have a wide range of products which are durable and made for long run. Thanks for this amaing post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this useful blog with us. We are one of the renowned manufacturer of E rickshaw in Kannauj, Rampur, Balrampur, Baghpat, Lalitpur etc. If searching for electric rickshaw, e loader, battery e rickshaw in minimal price then Aginternational is best company to consider first.

    ReplyDelete