2009/08/15

Fend for yourself.

With the tractor's mechanical bits in good order, I need to take car of the more cosmetic parts. Since the fenders also hold up the far sides of the floor pans, I'll do them first.

This is the right hand fender.



Mostly intact, but the sides where the spot welds were are in rough shape.


Cleaned up, did a short weld to hold the support in the sheet metal on the right.


Cleaned out and filled the cracks and holes on the side with some bondo.



Filled in one little crack on a spot weld.


Primed.


First coat.


This is the left hand fender. It's in much worse shape.


Someone backed the tractor into something.




I tried to fix it, but it was for nothing.


The bottom was just too rough and too rusted. The sheet metal is basically useless.


But at least I was able to save the angle iron parts. It's pretty rust-pitted too, but it will work for now.


I'll try to find a replacement fender for the left hand side. If I can't find one used, I'll try to get a reproduction fender from a restoration place, though that would be expensive.

If all else fails I'll take it to someone who can do body work to cut off the cancerous bits and MIG on some new sheet metal. I can at least pound it back into shape if need be, but I can't weld sheet metal to save my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment